Get to know John
I’m running for Congress because Washington is broken and it’s time we start getting things done. Utah's 3rd District needs a conservative leader who will help get the Republican agenda passed. Actions speak louder than words — I’ve lived my life that way — from building a gun-range business that employs hundreds right here in Utah, to serving as mayor of Provo, a city where 94% of the residents like what we’ve accomplished with conservative policies.
I’m deeply concerned about what kind of country our kids and grandkids will grow up in. The success we've seen in Utah starts with the good people who live here and the conservative values we hold dear. I want to do my part to make Washington work more like Utah.
D.C. is broken, but our local politics are working. In Provo, we’ve cut taxes, shrunk government, attracted businesses and services, and now our city is booming. This is my message to D.C. about conservative governance. It works!
John Curtis is a longtime businessman and has served as mayor of Provo since 2010. One of the most popular leaders in the history of the city, Mayor Curtis led the transformation of Downtown Provo into a thriving business center. He's earned a strong track record of success and his achievements as mayor include:
- 94% approval rating
- Trimmed 5.5 million in the city budget in his first year
- Scheduled service at the Provo airport
- 84% of citizens say they are getting a great value for their taxpayer buck
- $1.5 billion of investment in the city
- Massive transportation improvements
- Negotiated with Google to take over iProvo, saving tens of millions of dollars
- Oversaw creation of Vision 2030, a roadmap for the future of Provo
Beyond that, over the last eight years Provo's downtown has been completely revitalized. When you walk through the streets today you can't miss the palpable good vibe in the city.
Mayor Curtis' efforts have brought Provo unprecedented recognitions:
- #2 Best Run City (WalletHub, 2017)
- #2 Best-Performing City (Milken Institute, 2016)
- #1 Most Entrepreneurial In America (Smart Asset, 2016)
- #1 Lowest Unemployment Rate (CNBC, 2016)
- #1 For Career Opportunities (Smart Assets, 2016)
- #3 Best City for Tech (DataFox, 2016)
- #1 Fastest Job Growth (Brookings Institution, 2015)
- #1 Best City to Move to (Simple Moving Labor, 2015)
- #1 For Volunteering (Corporation for National and Community Service, 2015)
- #3 For Business and Careers (Forbes, 2014)
- #1 Best Well-Being, (Gallup, 2014)
Quick facts about John:
- Utah native and graduate of Skyline High School
- Father of six children along with his wife Sue, a physical therapist and former member of the Provo Board of Education
- Graduate of BYU with degree in Business Management
- Speaks Mandarin Chinese
- Known for his quirky and cool sock collection
- Former business leader at Citizen and O.C. Tanner
- Owner/Partner at the Action Target Company where he helped grow annual sales to roughly 70 million
- Earned Golden Post Award in 2015, honoring top elected official on social media in the U.S.A.
- Named Utah Valley Person of the Year in 2017 (Utah Valley Magazine)
- Received Thayne Robson Award for Leadership in Economic Development in 2017 (Economic Development Corporation of Utah)
- Won re-election in 2013 with over 86% of the vote, making him one of the most popular mayors in Provo's history